Ralph Wilson Stadium

Ralph Wilson Stadium

Pages

Friday 13 March 2015

Will Ferrell: The new face of the MLB?

main image
Collage of Will Ferrell with his 10 different teams (Courtesy of MLB)

Spring training is a time when MLB teams prepare for the upcoming season. This is also an opportunity for young ball players to make a name for themselves in hopes of being on the opening day roster. However, yesterday a well-known celebrity took to the field and showed what he was made of. That somebody was actor and comedian, Will Ferrell


Now those who are big fans of his films should not worry about his acting career being over. As part of an HBO special from Funny or Die, Ferrell managed to play for 10 teams and played every single position on the field. These teams consisted of the Athletics, Mariners, Angels, Cubs, D-backs, Reds, White Sox, Giants, Dodgers and Padres. He even took the reigns as base coach during his short-lived MLB career. Throughout the entire day, he never broke character. He acted as if he actually was a professional baseball player. The players and fans loved every moment and it made for a great day. 


While Ferrell's professional career was a joke, the reasoning behind it was not. The whole day was focused on a campaign to raise money for cancer. Items use by Will Ferrell during the games will be up for auction on mlb.mlb.com/home with proceeds going to Stand Up to Cancer and Cancer for College. I tip my hat off to not only Will Ferrell, but to the MLB as well. With Will Ferrell's celebrity and the popularity of professional baseball, this was an amazing way to support a cause that is near and dear to many of us.


(Short clip of Will Ferrell's day in the MLB  courtesy of UPROXX)

14 comments:

  1. I'll be up in Phoenix for spring training which is funny because I know nothing about baseball. But I was hoping to see him. I Like that fact that there was a cause behind it and not just a stunt to promote his new movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will Ferrell is the man... Always thinks of the coolest bits and loves sports. This is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love it when a celebrity does something positive for the community. It's more about the cause and less about the celebrity (for instance Fifty Cent's pitch at the Mets game - frustrating). Great post Brittany, I did not know about this. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post Brittany. I really enjoyed watching the highlight video you included. That was a hilarious bit for a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this from Will Ferrell! Nothing makes me happier than baseball and one of my favourite actors. He's a solid fielder, and his 0.00 ERA is nothing to shake a stick at.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! What a cool idea to raise money - way to go Will and the MLB

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Will Ferrell and I loved every minute of those games lol nice job man, good read. Keep it going

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was such a cool way to raise money! I heard John Madden wasn't too impressed with him afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will Ferrell is one of my favourite celebrities because of things like this. He is so down to earth and always keeping everyone entertained. What a great cause to participate with! Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome idea to raise money - love Will Ferrell

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was wondering what he did that for! I kept seeing clips and never got the full story, so thanks for sharing! He's such a funny guy and I think the athletes loved having him out!

    ReplyDelete